for me the critical point regarding my backup strategy is, that
1) it needs to be fully automated
2) I need to be informed if anything goes wrong
3) I need to be able to check the current status easily
1) is fulfilled by borgmatic
2) explicitly does not mean, that I am not informed for every successful run. This is because one does not notice if one message is missing.
This is currently done for me by getting the crontab output. For this it is important not to get any output in case everything is fine. It works, but I would prefer this to not be dependand on crontab but built into borgmatic
3) is yet missing. I am spoiled by crashplan:
But I do not request a GUI here… It can all be commandline output
I looked at the borg documentation of available json and I suggest this structure:
Stats - appears once per repository:
-percent successful backup attempts
-average speed of last 10 backups
last successful backup:
-speed of last backup
last unsuccessful backup:
It would require a gui or a web application no?
I am just showing an example in the screenshot above.
It could be just a text-output. No User-Interaction and nothing graphical.
It could feasibly be implemented with some logging and a separate command that just parses that log.
No due date set.
This issue currently doesn't have any dependencies.
Deleting a branch is permanent. It CANNOT be undone. Continue?